21 labor activists arrested by police, 3 under criminal detention, 4 could not be reached
According to reliable sources obtained by Red Balloon, as of the 5th December 2015, altogether 21 labor activists were arrested by the police. Three of them are right now under criminal detention. 14 of them were released after inquisition. Another four labor activists cannot be reached. In addition, 6 family members of the labor activists have been approached and questioned by the police.
The update situation of the detained labor activists is as of the followings.
1. Zeng Feiyang* from Panyu Migrant Workers Documentation Centre has been under criminal detention, being charged of “mobbing and disrupting social order”. (a) His wife, parents and the eldest brother were under inquisition by the police. (b) On the evening of 4 Dec, Tang Jian (whose online nickname is Beiguo), worked previously in the Panyu Migrant Workers Documentation Centre, was arrested in Beijing and cannot be reached since then. (c) Wang Sanmu was ordered to go to the police station and was released on the afternoon of 4 Dec. (d) He Minghui, who worked in Pegasus Group (a shoe manufacturer) and is a volunteer of the Panyu Migrant Workers Documentation Centre, was under the police’ inquisition and was released. (e) Some workers heard that the police was looking for Xiao Jin from the Centre’s Zhongshan office.
2. Zhu Xiaomei* from Panyu Migrant Workers Documentation Centre are still under criminal detention due to the charge of “mobbing and disrupting social order”. She has two kids; the youngest child is one year old and has been relying on breastfeeding.
3. He Xiaobo* from Nanfeiyan has been detained due to the charge of “financial embezzlement”. His wife has been ordered not to use social media to publicize the case.
4. Peng Jiayong* of Panyu-based Laborer Mutual Aid Group was arrested on 3 Dec and has not been released.
5. Chen Huihai, the director of Guangzhou Haige Workers’ Services Centre (previously the workers’ training department of Guangdong Laowai Law Firm) was arrested on 3 Dec. The police had kept him in a hotel room for inquisition. Deng Xiaoming* and Meng Han* were taken away for investigation and have not been released. The Service Centre’s staff Bin Xue and He Bing, two workers associated with the Center Huang Dongmei and Cheng Neng Wen were questioned on 3 Dec and were released.
6. Luo Hongmei and Zou Jiajun of Sunflower Women Workers Centre were arrested on 3 Dec and were released on 4 Dec.
*refers to those activists that cannot be reached, are still under detention or officially charged by the police.